Saturday, September 18, 2010

Sundry pony update

Indigo had an afternoon of being a camp pony. I tied him up in the tacking area while R and I lead the last four rides of the day, and he hung around for the unsaddling bit where all the horses milled around and sniffed his bum and sides and face. Only Marquee and Missy made valiant attempts to kick him. He didn't offer to kick anyone back and seemed rather polite and taken with Hannah. Cutie.

He was the most unnerved I've seen him today when I first brought out the blanket. But after he sniffed it and chewed it and I started tossing it to his shoulder rhythmically, he settled down and I was able to get it over his sides and pull it over belly, hip, tail, neck, and head within a few minutes. It never seems to take much time to teach him anything. I even "girthed" him with a spare rope around his belly.. Loose at first, then I tightened it 'til it was about cinch tight. For some reason, that didn't bug him at all. He wore the blanket and fake-cinch around for a little bit, tied with it, chewed on it some more, and then we were done. After I walked him through the tack room a few times.

Thursday, we went for a walk about camp. Nothing was scary, except for the big Y-Man poster cutout when whapped with a stick and the lids on the big trash cans slamming. Besides that, he was generally just bemused with everything going on and quite calm in hand. Only once or twice have I had to reprimand him for walking through a "woah" cue; he listens well. The new halter with a few more knots over the nosepiece gives enough bite that he minds easily.

He's met a few campers and done well. I do worry about his mouthiness, but he's learned what I mean when I growl at him and he has his lips wrapped around something/someone.

Richard taught him to pick up his back feet today. I'm proud of both of them— R can be a little quick to discipline, but we talked about trust and he absolutely got it and the different learning curve Indy's on. But without any kicking, any fright, he asked him to give his back left and then his back right. The only struggle is just a balance issue, but I think they are both figuring it out. It's cool to watch. :)

Pax looks awesome. Her belly is back. Her shoulders are filling out again, and her hips are rounding. Hopefully her tail grows out quickly. (It was bandaged so long and not taken out for 10 days; some of the weaker hairs at the dock wore out and so she looks a little.. Skunky.) Her mane has gone totally wild again and I decided not to tame it out of its double-maned-ness. I sort of like it. Even though I haven't done much with her outside of feed her and watch her closely, it absolutely brightens my day when she sets her big head into my chest and sighs and looks for pats. She is a very good girl.

And Bandit? Sassy as ever, but great to ride. He is a little lazy in the back end still if we're just lollygagging, but I think he looks fit and ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Any and all commentary is appreciated! —MA